Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Friday, January 7, 2011

For the Love of a Cavalier: Come together to bring Awareness



The recent issue of Dogs Today Magazine said “Health Update: Can the Cavalier still be saved?” Ella is a fighter and I wish I had the strength she has but YES we can! I have been blessed to meet so many great people on Facebook who love Ella and I love their Cavaliers and we all have the same thing in common, “We a Cavalierish World”.. I am so thankful for Felissa who has put together the Syringomyelia Awareness week on her blog www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com and also Miki and the Facebook group “We love a Cavalierish World” who started the Facebook event because I feel it’s important for anyone who truly loves this breed (Cavalier owners, breeders, people who show Cavaliers, clubs) it doesn’t matter except that we all come together and recognize that SM is a problem and we can do something to help the breed we love so much.




“The greater the loyalty of a group toward the group, the greater is the motivation among the members to achieve the goals of the group, and the greater the probability that the group will achieve its goals.”

Rensis Likert



Keeping quite and not telling others and raising awareness is hurting the future of the breed and also making more people go through what I have and I would not with that on anyone.



“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn”.

Benjamin Franklin



I did not know what SM was when I got Ella but know I know what it is like to have a Cavalier with severe SM so I did not know what questions to ask to make sure I choose a breeder that was following SM breeding protocols to help reduce the chance of her developing this condition. So many people do not know about SM but I am sure they do not know that there has been research going on for years to come up with a way to help our breed.


“Don't make excuses. Make things happen. Make changes. Then make history.”

Doug Hall



Now here is the good part. We have this outlet to help others. Learn from stories and hear how there are people that are making a difference and also what we can do to help!




No comments: