Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Staring into the eyes of a cavalier king charles spaniel & now seeing pain

One of my cavalier books from barrons said: "if the eyes are the window to the soul, the cavalier king charles spaniel has the kindest soul in dog-dom.  To peer into the eyes of a cavalier is to enjoy a vision of utter devotion and to fall completely under their spell." Staring to ella's eyes when she is in pain deeply hurts me. I wrote about Ella needing a 2nd MRI and that is because surgery may not have been successful.  The reason I know this is because I see the pain I once did before her surgery.  I read stories of people and Cavaliers with Chiari and Syringomyelia needing multiple surgeries and I knew this was a chance, but I had hoped it would not be Ella.

Ella used to cuddle with me on the couch but now she lays on the floor. She looks at me with those eyes of pain and I can hear faint sounds of pain.  I miss here and have to call her to come out from her hiding.  They sometimes do this because it can be painful to be touched.  How much I miss those days of her laying with me.  She has good days but recently her behavior has changed.  No one can tell you how hard it is to see this.  I posted a video of a person who can talk about how it feels, since she can't.  I will post video's of dogs that have Syringomyelia and some have lost their battle.  I am so afraid that is going to be Ella.  A lot of dogs don't even do surgery and manage fine on medications but some are not so lucky. I read articles about studies and they will say state dogs as cases and they will say was euthanized after 1 year or another case that has showed no new symptoms and improvement. 

I know I will do anything for her but I am scared.  Please pray for her.  The surgery is scheduled for September 1st. I will have my paycheck then and will need to figure out next month how to manage.  I am trying to come up with fundraiser events. I will be posting some items for sell to cover her treatment.  Please think of all these dogs that go through pain that is tough to watch.



Here is a picture of Lucy who lost her battle of Syringomyelia

3 comments:

Whitney and the Preppy Puppies said...

AnnieMac, I am so sorry you are going through this with Ella. I thank the stars every day that Spencer is one of the lucky ones who can be managed with (lots of) gabapentin. My heart goes out to you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

AnnieMac said...

I am so glad that Spencer has reacted well with the Gabapentin. How much does Spencer take? Ella has been on Gabapentin but he recently added prednisone which I know can be not good long term. I will add Spencer to my list. I wish the best and thanks for commenting. Just being there and reading her story means a lot to me. It is so hard to watch those videos and worry about her. Thinking of you too. Anne and Ella

bumbles said...

Hi Annie & Ella, I do not know this condition as I own rottweilers, but I do know the pain & sadness & worry. My Bruno had thyroid cancer & in 2 weeks it killed him, he was only 4 years old. I admire all you are doing for Ella, most would of pts, I feel as long as there is 1 drop of hope, I'm fighting it =), please know you are both in my prayers & I will be following your blog to learn more of this diease & to follow Ella into a recovery.