Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ella's future: whose hands do i turn to

Going through this journy with Ella, I am constantly learning new things each day. My heart became open and filled with love when i first held her. Now my eyes are open to things I never thought about.  I have gotten support and information from people that know the breed and this condition better than anyone else. Now would I depend on someone that has no experience to help her?

The reason why i am writing this is because of some things i have read and even heard from others.  I am responsible for Ella and making sure I make the right decisions and to help her so i am getting as much information as possible. That is what i would imagine a lot of people would do. Now what has been on my mind is what about things i have read about the Cavalier breed. Yes there are health problems but they are the most wonderful breed and i will definately continue to want to have Cavaliers.

My question is whose hands would you put the future of the breed in? I have seen comments about "show" breeders that hurt me because i have talked to quite a few of them and they have been very supportive. In fact, i would think they are the ones that know the most about the breed. I read somethings from posts right after the BBC pde aired about people saying they would no longer buy a cavalier from a breeder that shows. Even though it rose awareness, i hate that the people are grouped together.

Who do we turn to? There is blame and things said about more things could be done by the cavalier clubs. Well i will not go into that, but they at least have ethical guidelines and know far more than a lot of people. I see ads and tweets about "healthy" cavalier puppies. I would suggest someone who is going to buy a puppy take the same caution as if they were going to be preforming a brain surgery. I am not going to just take the word of someone before i have ella undergo such a serious operation. Would you want people that are experienced and know a lot of information about this breed who are doing tests for health be the ones to continue breeding, or just put them in a category.

I saw a very disturbing post on a blog today "cavaliers: a crap breed that will stay that way" wow! Should we not be supporting the people helping the breed or should i say Ella is crap because she has a health condition.  NO.

There is an article about puppy mill legislation that mentions that show breeders are a community that does everything to make sure the dogs they breed do not end up in shelters. This is another issue but my point is there are people that are doing things to not only benefit health but also there are rescue groups.  I depend on the Cavalier Rescue groups to help the Cavaliers without homes. I am thankful for the members of clubs that support ethical breeding guidelines. Our breed is not a crap breed, but if people do not do research about the breeder, believe everything without getting all the information, then that makes me feel like crap.

I see ella and then i see all the other things that are just a start. Her life is in my hands and i am doing the best for her. Now lets make sure other puppies come from hands that are gentle, caring, know about the breed, have done everything they can to make sure they are healthy by doing testing, and then placed into a loving hand. 

No comments: