Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Why knowledge is important even if it is not easy to accept


Throughout my blog i have been thankful for knowing what syringomyelia was so i was able to see the symptoms in Ella.  If you are reading this blog then you already know about syringomyelia (SM). Either from Ella's story or they are going through it with their own loved one. I have several points and realized a lot of things recently when I saw signs that Ella's surgery was not as successful as I hoped and was scared to get the results from her MRI.

Let me start off by saying how thankful I am for people supporting me and also shared Ella's story on their blogs because a lot of people have never heard of this condition.  I have always wanted to spread the awareness of SM because I know how it gave Ella more time and less suffering. This also gave me the opportunity to get the information I need to see what damage has been done and what needs to be done in order to cause less damage.

How could I who has stressed how important it is to see the signs not be the first one to get this done. Well besides the issue of finances, I have to also admit I was scared to face the truth. 

People want to read about happy stories. It is even an issue about how some feel that talking about the health problems with cavaliers is something that to hide.  Even trying to talk to friends with cavaliers, I found they did not want to know the truth. I feel that most people feel that unless that they experience it, then they dont care as much. That is true with a lot of things. 

I want to explain why it is especially important for people to know about this condition especially if they are an owner of a breed that can have this condition.  The hard thing about this condition is that seem like normal behavior.  I will prove this in my next post about Ella's recent visit to my mom's house who said she could see nothing wrong with her. 

I said in another post that if you know about this condition what are you going to do with this knowledge? The best thing anyone can do is to spread the word. Help another dog. Tell your vet. I know that many people just want to see a cute smiling face and pretty eyes of our Cavaliers, but read on about what is being done to help less have the eyes of pain that I have looked into when I look at Ella. It may not be easy and it may not be what you want to learn about what is going on with the breed but it is important. It is important to know what is being done for the future of others with research. It is important to help another know what to look for.  Please if you read this post, continue to read the next ones. They will tell the story of how SM is hard to see. I will also tell the good news about what is currently being done and has already had progress in helping our breed that is already known for health issues, have more without these problems.

Ella's results were not what I wanted to hear but I am glad because it might have caught the scar tissue before it attached.  Think about it. Spreading the word might help another before it progresses. Helping with research could save the breed.  Is it easier to turn a blind eye and not learn the hard truth, yes. But the truth will be what will help many others.


No comments: