Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Meet Rupert, A Bright Flame and a Very Special Cavalier



When I looked up the meaning of the name Rupert, it said it is a German-derived name that means Bright Flame. I did not know what it would say and hoped that it would somehow come close to describe Rupert, but I was amazed at the words that came before me.  I did not have the privilege to meet and know who Rupert was but what I do know is that he has touched many lives. I asked his owner Nikki to tell me some things about Rupert so I could get a better picture of his personality. You know each Cavalier has such amazing personalities! This is what she told me that he loved and a little bit of his personality which made me laugh :) The italics is what she said and I added my own comments

Rupert loved
people, other dogs, particularly Cavaliers. He loved the beach but also running in the woods, we invented a game chasing pine cones"- Hmm a game of chasing pine cones. I wish I could have seen that one!


"He adored young people - used to lie back in my friend's daughter's arms, she was about 14 at the time and loved him dearly, she'd spend ages cuddling him and rubbing his belly!

He enjoyed obedience, also did a bit of agility for a while.

He loved visiting other people's houses - would sit in their dogs' beds LOL- Oh Rupert! Trying to be the man of the house!

A vegetable rack was a self service restaurant to him!- At least Rupert wanted to eat healthy!

He could be incredibly naughty, he would just get a certain expression on his face and take off when we were out sometimes, but he wouldn't go that far, he thought it was very funny!- I thought that Ella could be naughty and I definitely know the expressions but pictures say 1000 words.

Now that you can get an idea of his personality you can see why a Fund was started in his memory. I would wanted to know Rupert because of what the fund has already started to do! I am not scientific so visit the website to read a better description.  Basically the researchers that have been busily trying to find a way to prevent less Cavaliers go through what Ella has, the researchers believe they have been able to pinpoint the genetic region of SM which is huge. If that isn't enough, they may be a protective element. I tried to read the report but it was very technical but this is so much hope.

All of this could not have been done because of Rupert and all the donations to his fund. I wanted to point out the success but the fight is not over. We still have a way to go and Rupert's Fund is providing a means to give the valuable research so that we can move forward.

I can not lose track of the main goal. That is bringing awareness but also stress that this is not a battle to give up on. Sometimes I get frustrated with the condition but I have never blamed her breeder. I just want pet owners to be aware and pass on the importance to know what issues are going on with our breed. 

I read today from someone who has a Cavalier with SM and her first vet misdiagnosed her as having allergies. This is very common and actually what happened to Ella. What she did is something we all can learn from. Once she found out the correct diagnosis, she went back to her first vet and gave him information on Syringomyelia so that he could be more aware of what to look for. She did not blame the previous vet, but educated him so that he could help others.



Please visit Rupert's Fund website Rupert's Fund website: http://www.rupertsfund.com/




Despite everything he was such a happy boy with a real joy for life.






She continued by saying: I hope that gives you a picture of him - we miss him every day, he was our first Cavalier and was just so very special, we were honoured to have him in our lives.


I wanted to end the day on a positive note. What is being done and what you can do. Pass on the information. If you can donate to Rupert's Fund, but if not then just share his story. Pass on information about Syringomyelia and most of all love this breed.


So here is to Rupert! A Bright Flame that will live on forever. If you read his story and what he went through but continued to remain happy, that shows true courage.  The Bright Flame will show in the eyes of future Cavaliers that can be more healthy because of his Fund.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anne, thank you so much for posting about Rupert. He was such a special dog, we miss him terribly. He was a fantastic ambassador for the breed, he loved everyone and everything...

Our thoughts are with you and Ella - we hope she keeps as well as possible for as long as possible.

Warmest regards

Nicki {Rupert's guardian - I think he owned us rather than the other way round!}