Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to make people aware without scaring them

SM and Ella consume my life and sometimes it is a scary thing. I asked if Syringomyelia is becoming more common or are people just more aware? Does that matter? I know that I want to say listen, you need to know about this, however I need to say that this is not the end to cavaliers. It's a road bump and to many breeders it the end of a line. I know when my breeder told me she felt terrible and when the time was right she wanted to give me another cavalier. Nothing will replace this remarkable being laying in my lap right now, but when she told me she had a 3 month old little girl, this might be the last chance I have to have a piece of Ella someday.

To some, like me, they are everything and my family. If I knew that I could no longer continue that family, it would be like losing a part of who you are. How would you start over when you have seen generations continue on. People are trying to figure this and that out which is way too complicated but they need to figure things out so they can figure out how to not pass it on. Mitral valve disease was similar and there are certain protocal breeders have. SM is something they are trying to figure out.

I enjoyed talking to my new friend and I'm glad I could see that it may be the end of a breeders line and family but not the very end to cavaliers. This is not something to be taken lightly but I don't want to scare people. The best way to help is communicating to other owners so they know symptoms and can maybe see things sooner rather than later.

It's tough because it is not something easy to diagnose but as I see Ella start to show symptoms again, I now more aware of things I was not before. I might be able to describe it better so that it may help someone.

I still don't know if what she is doing is related to SM and last night I was totally confused who to call. We know our dogs better than anyone else and they are so funny. Dogs have a way to express things through their eyes. I know ella's expression when she sees me go to the fridge to get cheese for her medicine. You would think I starved her to death if you see her pleading to me :)

No comments: