Ella was diagnosed with Syringomyelia and taught me more in her short life about how to live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and learn from each other.

About Me

My photo
The moment I first held Ella, my world changed. She has touched so many people giving love as a therapy dog but now it is time to give back. No matter how hard she tries to give, her eyes show sadness and pain.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Surgery

 


I decided to get the surgery. The day I took her in for the surgery was long! I had to wait for the phone call to hope there were no complications. When I got the phone call that everything went great and there was little bleeding. The neurologist said that it could not have gone any better. I was so excited. Ella survived the risk of complications that could happen with surgery.

I went to see her the next day and she was walking and wagging her tail. It was so great to see her!!! She had to stay one more night and I could take her home that weekend. I had her stay with my mom because I work and I thought that she could take care of her and it is really important to restrict their activity during their recovery. I would be at work and so I know I could not watch her during the day.

My mom kept her for a couple of weeks and I missed her so much but it was better for her recovery so that comes first. She seemed to do so well and the hardest part was keeping her from walking or getting excited. However the first weekend was scary. She would not come out of her crate to go outside or eat. I think that was because she felt safe and now looking back on it, could I have kept her in there longer? I had to take her outside and I carried her but you just never know if that has caused any damage.

My mom and my stepdad became attached to her. They had to put down their lab a month before they kept Ella and I think that they missed having a dog around. They do not want another dog but they have said they their would keep Ella if it suited. Which I think that is going to be often because my new job requires some traveling and the first trip I went on I just heard how sweet she is. My mom was talking baby talk to her. They wanted her in their bed instead of mine.

I know I got upset because I was going to give Ella her medicine and mom said that she gives her a piece of cheese before and that is what she is used to. Well she definately does not need any extra cheese because with her limited activity she has become quite fat!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

stipeygirl75 said...

Oh poor puppy! Humans with Chiari are called "zipperheads" after the surgery because the scar kind of looks like a zipper. Ella is now a true zipperhead! :)

I'm not a zipperhead yet, I'm trying to put the surgery off until absolutely necessary. If and when I have the surgery I will wear my zipper with pride!

- Sarah

Kevin Randolph said...

This iss a great post thanks